Greater Regional Selects Partner for Hospice Home
Will Transition Out of Hospice Services by February 28
Greater Regional Medical Center announced Monday, January 20th, plans to partner with HCI Hospice Care Services of Southern Iowa for utilization of the Greater Regional Hospice Home and transition out of the delivery of hospice services by February 28, 2014. Greater Regional has explored numerous options the past several years to respond to decreasing reimbursement, increasing regulation and declining volumes in the Greater Regional Hospice program with the following goals:
• To ensure a long term, quality hospice provider in the region
• To maintain the viability of the Greater Regional Hospice Home for our region well into the future
The Greater Regional Hospice Home will continue to be owned by Greater Regional. Greater Regional will lease the Hospice Home to HCI Care Services of Iowa to provide hospice services for patients.
HCI Care Services of Iowa has a long history of high quality hospice and palliative care services in Iowa and has been a growing local hospice provider serving the same geographical region as Greater Regional Hospice for several years.
Key factors leading to Greater Regional’s choice of HCI Care Services to lease the Hospice Home include:
• HCI Care Services has been serving families since 1978 and currently owns and operates 2 hospice homes in Des Moines
• HCI Care Services has satellite offices in Mt Ayr and Osceola and is well familiar with the region currently serves Greater Regional’s local service region
• HCI has a broad base of operations and serves 35 counties, recently partnering with VNS Services for home care services
• HCI is a known leader in hospice and palliative care with expertise in rural Iowa
• HCI assisted Green Valley Hospice when getting started in the early 1980s
• HCI and Greater Regional share the same key corporate values: Teamwork; Integrity; Compassion; Excellence and Respect
• HCI emphasizes patient-centered care and has a comprehensive strategic plan and long term vision for hospice services in the region
All current patients of Greater Regional Hospice will be assisted in transitioning their hospice services to a provider of their choice during the month of February.
Greater Regional Offers 3D Mammography
Women who undergo routine mammograms now have the latest screening and diagnostic technology available to them at Greater Regional Medical Center in Creston.
Greater Regional is one of the first women’s centers in Iowa to offer tomosynthesis for breast cancer screening. Breast tomosynthesis helps radiologists identify and characterize individual breast structures without the confusion of overlapping tissue.
The center’s Selenia® Dimensions® breast tomosynthesis system is made by Hologic, a world leader in digital mammography. The Selenia Dimensions system offers exceptionally sharp breast images, an advanced ergonomic design providing more patient comfort, and the ground-breaking tomosynthesis platform designed to deliver superior screening and diagnostic performance.
Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis when combined with a conventional 2D mammography has a higher cancer detection rate than conventional 2D mammography alone. Radiologists are reporting that tomosynthesis technology gives them increased confidence with a significant reduction in recall rates.
During a tomosynthesis exam, multiple, low-dose images of the breast are acquired at different angles. These images are then used to produce a series of one-millimeter thick slices that can be viewed as a 3D reconstruction of the breast.
By offering women the latest technology in mammography, Greater Regional hopes to increase the number of area women who will be routinely screened. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women, exceeded only by lung cancer. Statistics indicate that one in eight women will develop breast cancer sometime in her lifetime. The stage at which breast cancer is detected influences a woman’s chance of survival. If detected early, the five-year survival rate is 98 percent.
Greater Regional is committed to the fight against breast cancer. In offering breast tomosynthesis digital mammography, Greater Regional provides the latest in imaging quality. If you would like to schedule a mammogram or have questions about this important breast health procedure, please contact 641-782-3508 or visit our web site www.GreaterRegional.org.