Greater Regional Medical Center started as...
Creston Medical Clinic was founded in 1952 and began operations in 1953 at 526 New York Avenue. A group of local physicians in individual private practices believed by banding together they could practice better medicine and render services to area patients. The original physicians were: J.L. Hoyt; R.H.Kuhl; J.A. LIke; M.R. Pragas and H.J. Peggs. In 1973, the Clinic became a professional corporation.
In 2001, a step toward becoming a "one-stop" medical center began when the ground break for the Medical Arts Plaza on the campus of Greater Regional Medical Center occurred. As part of the renovation and expansion at the Medical Center, the Medical Arts Plaza would house Creston Medical Clinic, P.C. on the upper level of the new building, with a link to the medical center. Greater Regional Medical Center opened on the current site in May 1967.
Creston Medical Clinic, P.C. moved into the new Medical Arts Plaza location in August 2002. In addition, Greater Regional also owned and operated Greater Community Hospital Medical Clinic since 1997 with two employed physicians which also moved into the Medical Arts Plaza in August 2002 on the first floor.
As the Medical Arts Plaza opened, a third medical practice entered the scene. Dr. Steve Reeves, established Morning Star Internal Medicine which opened for business in September 2002 on the first floor of the Medical Arts Plaza.
Greater Community Hospital Medical Clinic closed in October 2004 when Dr. Y. Gandhi retired. The office space was then leased by New Life Family Medicine, P.C.
Morning Star Internal Medicine was acquired by Greater Regional Medical Center in 2007. Greater Regional acquired Creston Medical Clinic in early 2010.
Following the 2012 tornado which was a direct hit on GreaterRegional and the northwest section of Creston, Greater Regional Medical Center and the Medical Arts Plaza buildings required significant recovery efforts to re-open. During the recovery process, an opportunity was identified to realign Greater Regional employed physicians to increase convenience and accessibility for patients as the physician clinics re-opened.
The name of the clinics changed to Greater Regional Medical Clinics with the goals to increase convenience and accessibility for patients.
All Greater Regional employed family medicine; family medicine-obstetrics; and internal medicine physicians were co-located on the second floor of the Medical Arts Plaza in June 2012. Since 2012, this location has expanded to include Psychiatry Services.
In addition, all Greater Regional employed surgical specialists, including general surgery and orthopaedic surgery were co-located on the first floor of the Medical Arts Plaza. Since 2012, the GRMC Specialty Clinic has expanded to include OB/GYN - Women's Health and ENT-Allergy-Sinus providers.