Some non-healing wounds may take months or years to heal. Sometimes wounds never heal completely. Our professionals play an important role in wound care by expediting healing, restoring normal function, and educating the patient and families on wound prevention.
Who should see our wound care professionals?
- If you have a wound that is not healing in two weeks.
- If you have a wound that is not completely healed in six weeks.
Reasons certain wound will not heal:
- Smoking or excess alcohol use
- Weakened immune system
- Poor circulation
- Poor nutrition
Common types of wounds that are hard to heal:
- Pressure sores
- Surgical wounds
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Swollen legs with open skin
When you go to wound care...
Our wound care team also provides care and support for people who have a colostomy, an ileostomy or a urostomy. If you would like to schedule a visit, please call the Greater Regional Specialty Clinic at (641) 782-3887.
- You are part of a team.
- Treatments usually are not painful.
- We help you figure out why you are not healing.
- We will create a plan to help you heal.
- We will help you keep wounds from coming back.